October 9, 2011

Heartfelt...

Allie-Ann had to be admitted into the hospital last Thursday. She was dehydrated and running a very high fever. It all started Wednesday morning when I heard her coughing and when I went to check in on her, she had a fever. I kept her home from preschool thinking she caught another bug of some sort but it just progressively got worse. By that afternoon her temp. had risen even with ibuprofen. So I took her to the doctor. While at the doctor we found that her white blood count was high so they ordered for a UTI test which was awful because Allie-Ann can't tee tee in a cup. Then they gave her two shots of antibiotic and sent her home only to return the next morning. While at home she seemed okay but was not talking or moving which by Allie-Ann's standard is not good. We got her to bed and I started to research high blood count in toddlers and began thinking the worse. I spent the rest of the night praying and crying. At about 3:00 in the morning she woke us up with coughing, high fever and vomiting. We gave her some more medicine and she continued to be just miserable. So I picked up her listless body and we went back to the doctor.

All I wanted to do was to get her to the doctor as fast as I could. Kyle went with me, thank goodness, because I couldn't do this again on my own. While waiting at the doctor's office she wanted something to drink, so I gave her some juice, but within five minutes of time she threw it back up. I didn't bring any spare clothes so Kyle had to go out to find Allie-Ann and me something to wear. To add some humor to this story because now that we know Allie-Ann is going to be okay we can laugh about things, right. So he went to CVS and picked up some sweatpants and t-shirts. Poor Kyle did the best he could, but let me tell you, when I put those sweatpants on, they looked like tights. It was awful but at the time that wasn't my concern. I think I must have looked like some kind of crazed mommy. Anyway, the doctor ran more test and checked her blood count that was still high, and with a 104+ temp with dehydration she was admitted into the hospital. No parent wants to hear that their child is too sick to be at home in your care, I immediately started to cry but knew deep down that that was where she needed to be. We still didn't know what was causing her to have such a high fever. The doctor told us that he thought it was a virus but wanted to inform us on Kawasaki disease, which can lead to heart problems in children. Allie-Ann had some of the symptoms associated with the disease and said that she needed to stay in the hospital and if she had a fever for 5 days that they would have to treat her for it.

This is the fourth day and as I am writing this post, Allie-Ann is fever-free. She is also starting to eat and drink, which is a great sign that she is getting better. Our stay at the hospital has been a humbling one. To see sick children really does break your heart. And sometimes I think we take for granted our healthy children. So if you are reading this and you have a healthy child or children give them a big hug because I know that going through this with Allie-Ann, I have a whole new perspective on things and your world can change in an instant. But God somehow gives you this strength to deal because quite frankly I don't know why I just didn't lose it. I mean I have a 3 month old at home that wasn't taking a bottle, my breast pump broke while at the hospital, I was scheduled to have my final oral defense and I was traveling back and forth late at night to nurse Belle at 3:00 in the morning and returning to the hospital. And through all of this, I haven't felt tired or worn. I just knew it was what needed to be done. Allie-Ann needed her mommy and it was only through the Lord that I was able to continue to be there at all the moments she needed me.

The staff here have been wonderful and they really have special hearts to work with sick infants and toddlers. Allie-Ann has enjoyed the attention now that she is feeling better and she has really enjoyed the playroom. But it still breaks my heart to go in the playroom to see the sick children trying to play, many of which are playing with one hand because the other hand is used for their IV, Allie-Ann included. Many of the children couldn't even get out of their wagon (used to transport them to the playroom), who were covered in blankets. Some children didn't even have their parents present to be with them. Either they were working or they possibly didn't have parents. Your heart just aches at the sight of this.

We are hoping to be able to come home soon, she just needs a 24 hour period of no fever and eating and drinking. We are just so thankful that she is doing better and that we WILL get to take her home when many parents are still having to stay. You just never can take things for granted, and when you are having a crummy day and think you have things bad, don't forget that there are sick little babies out there that can't even play.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

auWendy, VERY glad to hear Allie Ann is fever free! The situation you have experienced is NOT a fun one at all, and it is times like those that really make you appreciate your little ones EVEN more than you thought possible!!!! You are a great Momma! I know Allie Ann and Belle think so too!!! Continued prayers coming your way!