August 21, 2011

Our Soon-To-Be 3 Year Old

With the birth of our second child and the craziness of our summer, the time has crept up on me in planning and preparing for Allie-Ann's 3rd birthday. I can't believe that in three weeks we will have a three year old on our hands. Where has the time gone....oh yeah right, changing diapers, tending to colds/sicknesses, chasing around an active toddler, potty training, picking up toys, stepping on toys, changing dirty clothes, cleaning dirty clothes...Ha.
For Allie-Ann's bday I'm going simple, no homemade cake this time....no energy or time for that right now, and I know this is crazy to say but I'm letting her decide what cake/theme she wants. So this means trips to Party City to buy crazy, unoriginal birthday supplies...oh the horror! Yes folks, I'm willing to go and buy paper/plastic things that are made in China just for my little girl to be thrilled at her 3rd birthday. So here's the deal, she wants a Backyardigans birthday, if you don't know the Backyardigans they are a Nick, Jr. cartoon of African American animal characters. Let's just say, Allie-Ann is in LOVE with Tyrone!! Now we don't have cable so the only time she gets to watch this cartoon is at her Grammy's house or the library but she is in awe of this cartoon. Allie-Ann doesn't know when it's going to be her birthday but is set on the fact that Tyrone WILL BE AT HER PARTY. So I'm a little concerned about this and don't really know what to do if she has a meltdown when he doesn't ACTUALLY come to her party. It's so bad that she pulls the step stool by the window to look for Tyrone to see if he is coming to our house...thinking that each day is her birthday. Now if you know my husband he is NOT the one to dress up for anything, we barely got him in a tuxedo for our wedding so I doubt that he will even think about dressing up as a moose (which is Tyrone). So what to do.....and to make matters worse finding a Backyardigans birthday cake has been a small feat. I mean Wal-mart didn't even have a cake with the characters...I thought Wal-mart lived for the Nick, Jr., Disney paraphernalia. So even though I'm trying to make this a simple party it is actually turning into a complicated mess. But it will be done and she WILL have her Backyardigans party sans Tyrone. Ha. 

On another note, we are going to build Allie-Ann a swing set for her birthday present. This is actually a BIG present for me because it will give Allie-Ann another option when we go outside to play. Kyle is going to build it...bless his soul and I'm going to watch...bless my soul. It should be a pretty sweet swing set...equipped with a nice tree house/platform for the slide. It's made of all wood....big surprise except the slide. We are super excited and I know Allie-Ann and Belle will enjoy it for many years to come. 

This is how we found Allie-Ann the other day...I guess she was bored of just sitting in chairs.

1 comment:

Tara said...

We love Backyardigans at our house too...but my theory is it's a mixed racial group of friends. After hours of watching with Ruth Ann I think Pablo is the hispanic friend and Austin is the caucasian friend. I personally love to hear Ruth Ann say "Uniqua" and for a short period of time this is what she planned on naming one of my mom's new kittens...so funny! Have fun planning...you're doing better than me...I've actually considered passing on a 3rd b-day and just having a family party...we'll see!