January 9, 2013

Baby Boom

One of my most favorite movies is Baby Boom with Diane Keaton. It used to not be until I had my own child and I could so relate to her and the movie just warms my heart. She chooses the easy life in a small Vermont town to raise and spend more time with her little girl. Well....who wouldn't want the pictuques little Vermont town, making millions off your own baby food. Anyway...when I had Allie-Ann, I had a career and was happy in it but something changed when I became a mom, I wanted to be by her side at every moment of the day. I was attached in such a way that I was willing to quit my job just to be with her. The decision didn't come without sacrifice and hard work. Being a stay-at-home mom is without a doubt the hardest, most rewarding job anyone can have. It's something that only those moms who live it each day can explain. Just like with any job no one can tell you how hard it is than the person working it each day. When Belle came I was even more set on making this work for our family. I finished my doctorate, graduated and the pressure of school was off my shoulders. I am eternally grateful for my time spent at home with my girls. It is a time that will always be cherished and remembered (thanks to my dedication to the blog). But I have received an offer on a job that I feel cannot slip away. It is a job that will work with our family because thankfully I will still have my summers and breaks off...mostly. When I went back to work with Allie-Ann, it just didn't feel right. I believe that what you feel in your heart is how God speaks to you. Now, I feel a complete peace about the decision to go back to work (maybe the four years at home looking ragged and chasing naked babies around helped..ha). 

I found the girls a school that is everything I ever imagined for someone other than me to teach them. I have complete ease with the staff and caretakers there. The director is a professor at USC and one of my colleagues has her children there. Both girls have been going there for a week now and have settled in great...which is another thing I'm grateful for because I've had the time to get them adjusted and myself before my work begins. Allie-Ann comes home each day to tell me something new that she has learned. They do so many great things and I truly feel that I hit the jackpot. It didn't come without a financial commitment but if I feel a peace about where my girls are and how they are being taken care of, I'm willing to spend what I have. That's the only way I was able to go back to work. I know returning to work is going to be a challenge and getting up early has already been a challenge but I know that it will be the best for our family and our growth. I'm excited about this new chapter and can't wait to blog about my new adventures of being a working mom.


The teachers in Allie-Ann's room sent these pictures to me on her second day of school. They are journaling about rocks. 

Belle is not having such an easy time adjusting. Bless her heart and mine. We both were crying on the first two days. I'm still adjusting but I know that she will get used to the new routine too. Her teacher is from Nigeria and is wonderful! She's been working with toddlers for 20 years. She's an angel!



1 comment:

Mrs. Prevatte said...

Hey Wendy!
That is such great news! I am so happy for you. Where will you be working now?