May 19, 2011

Potty Training Update, No Napping Dilema..

Sorry no pictures...been too busy potty training and writing the last two chapters of my dissertation. I'm sure I'll have some pictures to show from this weekend's events. But on to potty training....who knew it was going to be this hard. I'm about to pull out my hair and I'm quite pale from staying inside this week working on this. So here's the deal...she is going to the potty...check. She is sitting on the potty for at least 10 minutes...check.She doesn't complain about going to the potty...check. The problem is the timing, she just isn't doing anything. The part that stinks is that I take her off wait another 10-15 minutes to put her back on and within that time frame, she does her business!!!!! Ahhh. Like yesterday, I put her on the potty soon after breakfast, we sat, we sat, we read, we read...nothing. Then I took her off, went to brush my own teeth and hair and within that time she did the deed in her diaper. This has been going on ALL week this way. I can't tell you how much carpet cleaner I have gone through. I will say that she is coming around and going straight to the potty without any prompting (bribing) from me. It was so funny today (which is why I am blogging about all this) because I took her off the potty and told her that we were going back in about 10 minutes, well of course I didn't put a diaper on because she had her dress on and thought it would be easier to put her on the potty...well she tee teed again on the floor but this time after she was finished she said, "Go to potty, mommy!" I have faith that she is going to get this potty training before our next baby. But it has definitely not been an easy task.

On to problem number #2. So Allie-Ann has stopped taking naps since she turned 2!! She has a quiet time in her room for an hour sometimes hour an a half. So....I'm concerned about when baby #2 comes (And I promise we DO have a name for her but are keeping it a surprise) what I will do to keep Allie-Ann quiet during her nap times. What is even more frustrating and I try my best not to let it get to me is people telling me...."She doesn't take naps???!!!" NO, my child does not take naps...so sorry she did not fit into that mold. I've had people tell me that their 4 year old still takes 2 hour naps daily....lucky for you, it just didn't work out that way for us. I guess what I can take from this is that when Allie-Ann finally does goes to bed at night she is a Pro!! She sleeps heavy and doesn't typically get up at the crack of dawn which gives me some extra time in the morning but results in no naps in the afternoon. The crazy part about the no napping is she is EXTREMELY active and one that you would think would just be knocked out by the afternoon hours. Maybe with the lack of sleep that we will be getting with a newborn, Allie-Ann will start to take naps again, but until then we are a no napping mommy and toddler house.

5 comments:

Anne Wimberly said...

Hughes and Banks both stopped taking naps early. We now have "quiet" time either in their room or on the couch. This can include reading books on the couch or getting to watch a video. The rules are absolutely no getting off the couch and no talking. As far as potty training, I did the same thing with Hughes. The problem was that he wasn't ready. So, I put a diaper back on him and waited about two more months and tried it again. Voila - it worked. I realize you're working under some time restraints so what about some "plastic" underwear.
Keep up the hard work at home and on your dissertation!

Kelly Furtick said...

Andrew stopped taking them early as well. He sleeps just fine at night and wakes up in the morning late enough that I can get stuff done or sleep in myself. :) You are more of the norm than you think!
Potty Training will come. I went through stickers, quarters (so he could save or shop), M&M's, gum, suckers, popcorn...and a few others. She will get it when she wants to that is the bad part.

The Crotwell Family said...

Thank you Anne Wimberly and Kelly, I needed to hear similar stories and struggles. Anne Wimberly, I might have to enforce the no talking rule with Allie-Ann, she still talks and sings her entire quiet time. Kelly, I've tried the rewards too and even put up a sticker chart with no success, I think you are right that they will do it when they are ready. Thanks girls!!

Stephanie said...

Wendy, Austin and Logan both quit taking naps VERY early on! They would both fall asleep in the car (Austin still does when go to pick up Logan after school), but neither of them napped during the day after they were 2 (maybe even before). With Roger rotating and us on the go so much we don't have a particular schedule either...so luckily, both boys adjusted to whatever was going on/whenever! They say boys are harder to potty train than girls (I wouldn't know since I only have boys), but BOTH my boys weren't completely potty trained until they were around 3. They had the tee-teeing part down pat a little sooner, but they were always too busy to stop for the other. I did the same as your other friend...waited a month or so and tried again (with SUCCESS and less STRESS!!!!). If you can't find the plastic panties, the thick training pants ones absorb most if they have an accident. Good luck, and CONGRATS on getting lots done on your dissertation!!!

ktbug said...

I dread the no nap days, and am afraid they are coming. The past week (including this weekend of course) she's been getting up at 6:45 (instead of the usual 7:56-8:00) and only sleeping for about 1/2 hour during the day. Yikes!